Bored.

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 30 19:20:00 EST 2009

geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Necronymouse <necronymouse at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not
> > with python but I have a little problem, when i want to write
> > something I realise that somebody had alredy written it!

That's great news: it means you can learn by example, and also learn the
more important skills of collaborating with other developers.

> I'd find a big project and contribute to it. There's a lot more to
> being a developer than writing code, and its hard to learn much about
> that side of things by working on your own projects all the time.
> Plus, it can be very satisfying to make a widely used piece of
> software better.

This is good advice.

I would also say that it can be very satisfying contributing on a
*small* project: there is usually less communication overhead since
there are fewer people that need to communicate (the principles explored
in “The Mythical Man-Month”). On a small project, too, you can often
have a bigger impact which for many people is more satisfying.

So, in general: when you realise someone has already written something
you want to use, then start using it! You will quickly find that it
doesn't quite do everything you want, so that's your opportunity to make
improvements and start working with the existing developers.

--
 \        “Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code |
  `\     will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.” —John |