How to prevent re.split() from removing part of string

Jeremy jlconlin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:26:32 EST 2009

I am using re.split to... well, split a string into sections.  I want
to split when, following a new line, there are 4 or fewer spaces.  The
pattern I use is:

        sections = re.split('\n\s{,4}[^\s]', lineoftext)

This splits appropriately but I lose the character matched by [^s].  I
know I can put parentheses around [^s] and keep the matched character,
but the character is placed in it's own element of the list instead of
with the rest of the lineoftext.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish this without losing the matched
character?

Thanks,
Jeremy