python gui builders

Simon Hibbs simon.hibbs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 13:20:12 EST 2009

On 16 Nov, 10:06, me <not_h... at nowhere.com> wrote:

> What Python gui builder is well supported, does not require me
> to learn another framework/library, and can crank out stuff for
> multiple platforms ?

You're looking for a framework/library that doesn't require you to
learn it. OK....

I've had this problem for a few years. I've tried PythonCard,
WxWidgets with WxDesigner, BoaConstructor, etc. None of them come
anywhere close to PyQT/QTDesigner.

Dion't get Blackadder It hasn't been updated for several years and is
a dead project. In any case it uses QTDesigner for GUI layout anyway.
You're better off using Eric or Wing if you want a decent IDE.

QT does have a learning curve of course, but you get a lot of power
back in return for the investment. I'm just coming to grips with it's
MVC framework and the book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt"
is very helpful with that.

I wouldn't completely dismiss Tkinter. It's too simple for complex
GUIs but I still think it has it's place for basic utilities.

Simon Hibbs