More Python versions on an XP machine

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Sun Nov 15 07:01:53 EST 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:45:48 +0100, Gabor Urban wrote:

> this a very MS specific question. I do use a rather old Python
> version, because we have a couple of applications written for that.
> Porting them to a newer Python is not allowed by the bosses. Now we
> will start a new project with latest stable Python. Can I have them
> both on my computer, and how should I do that.

You can have multiple versions, but you can only associate one specific
version with the ".py" suffix.

This matters if you need to be able to execute .py files as if they
were executables, e.g. double-clicking on the script in Explorer or
typing the script's name in the command prompt.

You can run scripts which use other versions of Python by specifying the
interpreter explicitly, e.g.:

"C:\Program Files\Python25\python.exe" "C:\Program Files\MyApp\myscript.py"