Anything better than shutil?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Nov 14 10:48:39 EST 2009

I'm converting some old bash scripts to python.  There's lots of
places where I'm doing things like "rm $source_dir/*.conf".  The best
way I can see to convert this into python is:

    configs = glob.glob(os.path.join(source_dir, '*.conf'))
    for conf_file in configs:
        shutil.copy(conf_file, conf_dir)

which is pretty clunky.  The old bash script ran under cygwin on
windows, and the cygwin layer handled the slash-backslash business for
me.  Is there a better way to do what I'm doing?

I don't want to use any of the popen() variants to call a real shell.
The problem I'm trying to solve is that fork/exec is painfully slow
under cygwin, so that would defeat the whole purpose.

The idea interface I see would be one like:

  shutil.copy([source_dir, '*.conf'], conf_dir)

the idea is that if the first argument is a list (or maybe any
iterable other than a string?), it would automatically get run through
os.path.join().  And, the result would always get passed through glob
(), just like a normal shell would.  Does anything like this exist?

I'm currently using python 2.5.1.  It's possible, but moderately
painful, to move to a newer version.