Vote on PyPI comments

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Sun Nov 15 05:56:29 EST 2009

On Nov 15, 9:21 am, Daniel Fetchinson <fetchin... at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> >> Because unlike people writing comments, people here are never
> >> incompetent, misinformed, dishonest, confused, trolling or just wrong.
>
> >> But sometimes sarcastic.
>
> > All right, but the newsgroup has interactivity and the presence of
> > true Python experts too.
> > A blind vote given by an anonymous person does not look more
> > informative to me.
>
> You are right about a single vote, but the way these things usually
> work is that out of 1000 votes the non-informative ones average out
> ("wow! awsome package!" vs "this sucks bad!") and the net vote result
> is generally indicative of the actual thing that was voted on
> especially when there is no direct financial incentive to cheat.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Psss, psss, put it down! -http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown

I haven't used the PyPI rating / comments system at all. Can comments
accrue which complain about bugs or missing features of old versions
of the package? If so, they could be misleading for users coming to
view a package before trying it.

Or do comments and ratings only apply to a particular version of a
package, and get removed from the package's 'front page' every time a
new version is released?

Thanks,
  Jonathan Hartley