Vote on PyPI comments

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 15 04:21:35 EST 2009

>> > I am skeptical about the utility of both rating and comments. If
>> > somebody wants to know
>> > if a package is good, she should ask here.
>>
>> Because unlike people writing comments, people here are never
>> incompetent, misinformed, dishonest, confused, trolling or just wrong.
>>
>> But sometimes sarcastic.
>>

> All right, but the newsgroup has interactivity and the presence of
> true Python experts too.
> A blind vote given by an anonymous person does not look more
> informative to me.

You are right about a single vote, but the way these things usually
work is that out of 1000 votes the non-informative ones average out
("wow! awsome package!" vs "this sucks bad!") and the net vote result
is generally indicative of the actual thing that was voted on
especially when there is no direct financial incentive to cheat.

Cheers,
Daniel