Choosing GUI Module for Python

Dietmar Schwertberger news at schwertberger.de
Sat Nov 14 09:35:35 EST 2009

sturlamolden schrieb:
> I personally feel the wxPython support in the 3.1 beta of
> wxFormBuilder makes the choise rather simple. It generates a Python
> file with classes for all WYSIWYG GUI forms/windows/dialogs. Then in
> our Python code, we just import and inherit the form, and implement
> the event handlers. It can't be done easier. GUI programming with
> Python is now comparable to programming with VB, Delphi or C#. I am
> using it for all my projects now. It just feels right.

Yes, wxFormBuilder looks very promising.

But I don't think that 3.1 in it's current state it can be recommended
for general use already. I just tried the latest version (from August)
and it does not even generate correct Python code:

   self.m_toolBar1 = self.CreateToolBar( wx.TB_HORIZONTAL, wx.ID_ANY )
   self.m_button1 = wx.Button( self.m_toolBar1, wx.ID_ANY, u"MyButton",
wx.DefaultPosition, wx.DefaultSize, 0 )
   m_toolBar1.AddControl( m_button1 )

(i.e. "self." is missing)

Regards,