Serious Privileges Problem: Please Help

Victor Subervi victorsubervi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 14:24:33 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Rami Chowdhury <rami.chowdhury at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:36:31 -0800, Victor Subervi <
> victorsubervi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Of course. Let me start with some updates to httpd.conf, which didn't help
>> anyway:
>>
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>> ServerAdmin me at creative.vi
>> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/angrynates.com
>> ServerName angrynates.com
>> Options +ExecCGI -IncludesNoExec
>> <Directory /var/www/html/angrynates.com/global_solutions>
>>  Options +ExecCGI
>>  AllowOverride All
>>  AllowOverride FileInfo
>>  #AddHandler mod_python .py
>>  #PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
>>  #PythonDebug On
>> AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .py
>> Options Includes Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch ExecCGI
>> <IfModule mod_security.c>
>>  SecFilterEngine Off
>> </IfModule>
>> <IfModule mod_security2.c>
>>  SecRuleEngine Off
>> </IfModule>
>> AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .py
>> Options Includes Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch ExecCGI
>>
>> <IfModule mod_security.c>
>>  SecFilterEngine Off
>> </IfModule>
>> <IfModule mod_security2.c>
>>  SecRuleEngine Off
>> </IfModule>
>>
>> </Directory>
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> Here's index.py:
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/python
>>
>> import string
>> import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
>> import cgi
>> import sys,os
>> sys.path.append(os.getcwd())
>> from template import template
>>
>> ourFile = string.split(__file__, "/")
>> page = ourFile[len(ourFile) - 1][:-3]
>>
>> form = cgi.FieldStorage()
>> w = form.getfirst('w', '1024')
>>
>> template(page, w)
>>

> Can you try running index.py from the command-line, and let me know if that
> works?

It runs fine. So I created a test file of the same, chmod and tried it on my
browser. Rendered. So I deleted index.py and recreated it from the command
line, chmod. Rendered! Apparently, somehow in the translation from uploading
it via ftp to moving the files to a new dir, something got screwed up in the
permissions that I can't see! Any idea what the heck that could possibly
be??
TIA,