Pyfora, a place for python

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:43:10 EST 2009

>>> Suggestion: Please don't make efforts to fragment the community.
>>
>> When a community grows and consequently its needs also grow, how do
>> you differentiate "natural growth" from "fragmenting the community"?
>>
>> Same question in another way: let's suppose Tim Peters sent the exact
>> email the OP sent with the exact same website. Would you have
>> responded to him the same way?
>
> Most probably not - but then because Tim certainly would have discussed this
> move with peers from the community, if there is a need for this kind of
> forum or not.
>
> Being from germany, I can say that we *have* this fragmentation, and
> frankly: I don't like it. I prefer my communication via NNTP/ML, and not
> with those visually rather noisy and IMHO suboptimal forums.

If you prefer NNTP/ML, I'd suggest you pay attention to these channels
only. BTW, I prefer ML also and I'm very happy with c.l.p. However
that doesn't mean that I need to be hostile to other forms of
communication and it doesn't mean that I need to discourage people
from setting up other channels of communication for those folks who
prefer them.

If new channels open up for others it will not make c.l.p any worse.
If enough people like c.l.p. it will continue to be a good channel, if
too many too good people switch to an online forum, well, in that case
c.l.p. will cease to be great, but it won't be because of artificial
fragmentation by somebody but because the people started to prefer
online forums (words like "free market" come to mind :))

I generally not register on any online forum and will most probably
not register on pyfora either. But I know for a fact that many people
prefer forums over ML and why shouldn't those people be happy with the
communication platform they like and why shouldn't they be given a
chance to join the python community if the only reason they stayed
away was that they didn't like c.l.p. for one reason or another?

> E.g. it
> requires much more effort to get to know what new discussions arose, as
> well as following ongoing ones - because the interface lacks a
> comprehensive overview of that, and features like "jump to next unread
> article".

These are perfectly legitimate reasons for you to not use online
forums and stick to c.l.p. I do the same thing. But again, if an
enthusiastic python community member wants to open new channels for
those folks who like them, why should anyone be hostile to him/her?

Cheers,
Daniel