Pyfora, a place for python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Nov 2 09:44:52 EST 2009

Daniel Fetchinson wrote:

>>> If you have any suggestions, let me know -- this is a community
>>> effort!
>>
>> Suggestion: Please don't make efforts to fragment the community.
>
> When a community grows and consequently its needs also grow, how do
> you differentiate "natural growth" from "fragmenting the community"?
>
> Same question in another way: let's suppose Tim Peters sent the exact
> email the OP sent with the exact same website. Would you have
> responded to him the same way?

Most probably not - but then because Tim certainly would have discussed this
move with peers from the community, if there is a need for this kind of
forum or not.

Being from germany, I can say that we *have* this fragmentation, and
frankly: I don't like it. I prefer my communication via NNTP/ML, and not
with those visually rather noisy and IMHO suboptimal forums. E.g. it
requires much more effort to get to know what new discussions arose, as
well as following ongoing ones - because the interface lacks a
comprehensive overview of that, and features like "jump to next unread
article".

Diez