Python, Tkinter and popen problem

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu May 28 06:03:49 EDT 2009

norseman wrote:

> Peter Otten wrote:
>> norseman wrote:
>>
>>> This was sent 5/19/09 and as yet has received no comments.
>>
>>> I'm resending just in case a new reader might have an answer.
>>
>> If you had posted two tiny scripts demonstrating your problem instead of
>> the longwinded explanation I might have tinkered.

> That's one of the problems - with Tkinter you don't get tiny files. :)

Nonsense. The minimal Tkinter program is

from Tkinter import Tk
root = Tk()
root.mainloop()

The idea is that you remove everything but the parts relevant to your
problem (or build a toy example from scratch). This makes it easier for a
non-guru to verify a potential answer. That non-guru might even be yourself,
by the way.

> NOTE: program runs perfectly on both Linux and Windows XP Pro when run
> from the keyboard. But not from another python program that wants the
> phone line connected. (stdin/stdout)  Gee... There is never a County
> Lineman when needed is there Glen? :)

It's not clear why you need to start the GUI at all as you seem to have
control over boths scripts.

Peter