Python, Tkinter and popen problem

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Wed May 27 20:39:36 EDT 2009

norseman wrote:
> Peter Otten wrote:
>> norseman wrote:
>>
>>> This was sent 5/19/09 and as yet has received no comments.
>>
>>> I'm resending just in case a new reader might have an answer.
>>
>> If you had posted two tiny scripts demonstrating your problem instead
>> of the longwinded explanation I might have tinkered.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> --------------------------
>
> Since it got lost:
> Python 2.5.2 with Tkinter in the download package
> Linux Slackware 10.2
>
> That's one of the problems - with Tkinter you don't get tiny files. :)

[snip]

You're more likely to get help if you provide the minimum code that
demonstrates the problem.

Anyway, your original post said that you're running the child with
os.popen. The documentation says:

"""Open a pipe to or from command. The return value is an open file
object connected to the pipe, which can be read or written depending on
whether mode is 'r' (default) or 'w'."""

In other words, it's one-way.

Are you really using os.popen and not, say, os.popen2?

(Providing actual code would make this clear.)