What text editor is everyone using for Python

Arnaud Delobelle arnodel at googlemail.com
Tue May 26 09:58:36 EDT 2009

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> writes:

> In message <mailman.741.1243325683.8015.python-list at python.org>, Hendrik van
> Rooyen wrote:
>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo at geek....new_zealand> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why [do you want syntax highlighting]?
>>
>> It makes your screen look more busy as you type - for instance, if you
>> type a " or a ' then it treats the rest of the file from that point on as
>> belonging to the same string you are about to start typing, and colours it
>> all using the colour you have selected for displaying string literals.
>> This is basically to make you seasick and to force you to type the closing
>> quote immediately and then to back arrow to inside the string again to
>> finish typing the string, thereby making sure that firstly you type more
>> keystrokes, which will look good on your productivity summary, and
>> secondly to save the Python parser the hassle of dealing with a string
>> that has no end quote.
>
> Yeah, that's about what I figured. I think I first came across it 15 years
> ago in Metrowerks CodeWarrior. I tried it for a while, but it didn't really
> help with any of my program bugs, so I turned it off.

It's a bit like the colour-coding of electrical cables - distracting
more than anything else!  And don't start me on traffic lights...  They
nearly give me an epileptic fit each time.

That's why I use ed.  Ed is the standard text editor [1].  Ed is open
source [2].

[1] http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg
[2] http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed

--