What text editor is everyone using for Python

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Mon May 25 22:20:41 EDT 2009

On May 25, 4:28 pm, Roy Smith <r... at panix.com> wrote:

> I'm confused.  You put emacs and vi in the same paragraph
> and then expect the conversation to remain civil? :-)

I know!  He is really asking a lot!

Ultimately, I think if you are comfortable with vi, stick with vi.
There are plenty of people who are using Python-specific
configurations of vi to good effect.

Personally, I like SciTE.  Very small, very fast text editor based on
the Scintilla editor component.  It doesn't autoindent Python
perfectly out of the box, but I wrote a patch for myself (which I'm
happy to share with anyone who's interested).

I also have dabbled with Geany, which someone mentioned earlier.  I
already don't use all the features of SciTE, so I'm nowhere near
needing Geany's capabilities, but what I have seen of it I like, so I
am comfortable recommending it.  It also is very actively maintained
and supported, if that makes a difference.

John