Your Favorite Python Book

News123 news123 at free.fr
Fri May 22 17:47:32 EDT 2009

Evan Kroske wrote:
> Sam Tregar wrote:
>> Greetings. I'm working on learning Python and I'm looking for good
>> books to read. I'm almost done with Dive into Python and I liked it a
>> lot. I found Programming Python a little dry the last time I looked at
>> it, but I'm more motivated now so I might return to it. What's your
>> favorite? Why?
>>
>> -sam
>>
> Programming Python is good, but its examples follow a function-based
> . . .

I would *not* recommend 'Programming Python' (but perhaps this is just,
that I expected it to be the equivalent to 'Programming Perl' in the
Python world)

It is not good for getting started as it doesn't introduce the basics
well enough.

It is not good as a reference (it never intended to be one)

It touches many topics, but doesn't really go into too much depth.

It is really weak on Object Oriented programming

I personally prefered the Python Cookbook

As I never read "Dive into Python" I don't know what books are good
complements.