[Python-Dev] PEP 382: little help for stupid people?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat May 9 05:06:52 EDT 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Ok, so create three tar files:
>
> 1. base.tar, containing
>
>    simplistix/
>    simplistix/__init__.py

So this __init__.py can have code in it? And base.tar can have other
modules and subpackages in it?
What happens if the base and an addon both define a package called
simplistix.somepackage?

> 2. addon1.tar, containing
>
>    simplistix/addon1.pth (containing a single "*")

What does that * mean? I thought .pth files just had python in them?

> Unpack each of them anywhere on sys.path, in any order.

How would this work if base, addon1 and addon2 were eggs managed by
buildout or setuptools?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk