[Python-Dev] PEP 382: little help for stupid people?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri May 1 13:38:12 EDT 2009

>>> In either of the proposals on the table, what code would I write and
>>> where to have a base package with a set of add-on packages?
>>
>> I don't quite understand the question. Why would you want to write code
>> (except for the code that actually is in the packages)?
>>
>> PEP 382 is completely declarative - no need to write code.
>
> "code" is anything I need to write to make this work...
>
> So, what do I need to do?

Ok, so create three tar files:

1. base.tar, containing

   simplistix/
   simplistix/__init__.py

2. addon1.tar, containing

   simplistix/addon1.pth (containing a single "*")
   simplistix/feature1.py

3. addon2.tar, containing

   simplistix/addon2.pth
   simplistix/feature2.py

Unpack each of them anywhere on sys.path, in any order.

Regards,
Martin