Which one is best Python or Java for developing GUI applications?

David Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Thu May 7 22:45:12 EDT 2009

On 2009-05-05, srinivasan srinivas <sri_annauni at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Could you tell me does Python have any advantages over Java for the
> development of GUI applications?

You don't have to choose between them.  You can program Swing applications
in Jython.  And Jython is just a jar that you can bundle in another jar for
distribution just like any other Java jar.  You will have to understand Java
code to learn Swing, though.  I suggest also looking into the
Swing Application Framework and Netbeans.

However, I would look at PyQt first (if the license requirements are OK).
PyQT is well thought out, consistent, and featureful.  And then maybe try
wxPython if you need a more liberal license.  wxPython is clunky and
inconsistent, but gets the job done.

Dave Cook