What would YOU like to see in a txt to html converter?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu May 7 13:35:02 EDT 2009

> As you might have mentioned I'm just working on a txt to html converter
> called "thc". This project is intended for me to learn Python and now pyQT4
> to which I changed a few days ago (started with Tkinter).
>
> I have implemented the following features so far:
>
> - Giving a title for the html
> - Choose whether it's Transitional or Strict Doctype

Don't give this choice. What benefit does this give the user?

> - Select a background color
> - Show the converted file with the standard browser

That should probably be valid [X]HTML and be done with it.

> - Working on a font size slider

This should be a browser feature, not a page feature. Use the default
sizes of the HTML elements, and let the UA override those defaults as
the user sees fit ot configure it.

If you think that there should be a font size slider, then file a
feature request at the bug tracker of your favourite browser.

> I don't really know if this is of any use for anybody but it's just a fun
> project by a beginner :-)
>
> Now I'd like to know what kind of features you'd like to see in version 0.3
> of thc!?

You should probably convert the text to UTF-8 and make sure to declare
that with a meta tag.

You might want to look at markdown for a nice way to have hyperlink support.

Lists conversion, like these:
* item one
* item two
* item three