Deleteing empty directories

CinnamonDonkey CinnamonDonkey at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:14:55 EDT 2009

My understanding was that rmtree removes a whole tree not just the
empty directories?

eg.

root
 - file1
 - file2
 - dir1
 - dir2
  - file3
  - dir3

I would expect; dir1 and dir3 to be deleted and nothing else touched.

My attempt came up with:

import os
import shutil

def isDirEmpty( path ):
    if not os.path.isdir( path ):
        return False

    contents = os.listdir( path )

    if len(contents) == 0:
        return True

    return False

def RecurseTree( path ):
    if not os.path.isdir( path ):
        return False

    contents = os.listdir( path )

    if len(contents) == 0:
        print "Deleting Empty Dir '%s'" % (path,)
        #shutil.rmtree(path)

    else:
        for item in contents:
            investigate = "%s\\%s" % (path, item)
            if os.path.isdir(investigate):
                RecurseTree( investigate )

if __name__ == '__main__':
    RecurseTree( r"c:\temp" )

But I'm not sure what the max recursion depth is in python? Plus I
think this could be more efficient.