Programming Python 4th Edition?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Sun Mar 29 08:30:04 EDT 2009

Esmail <ebonak at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  pruebauno at latinmail.com wrote:
> > It isn't a introduction to the Python language like "Learning Python",
> > it doesn't work as reference like "Python in a Nutshell", it doesn't
> > contain short idiomatic code like "Python Cookbook". What you are left
> > with is different application domains and how to apply Python to them.
> > The book is excellent if you want to do Network, GUI, Databases, etc.
> > but poor if you want to learn about Python the core language. The
> > title of the book should be changed from "Programming Python" to
> > "Applied Python"
>
>  I appreciate you taking the time to post. I agree with what you say.
>  I guess what appeals to me is the nearly encyclopedic nature of the
>  book .. and I am curious about scripting with python, so it seems to
>  have some good material on it (though I think there are newer modules
>  now available for this).
>
>  It's good to hear what others think about this book, and others
>  too.

I read Programming Python as an experienced programmer and like you I
enjoyed the encyclopedic nature of it.  So if it appeals to you I'd
say go for it!

The fact that it doesn't use the latest version of python isn't a
problem - python doesn't change very quickly and emphasises backwards
compatibility, even for the jump to 3.x.