Compiling modules in OSX, eg PyUSB?

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Fri Mar 20 10:11:20 EDT 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 9:48 AM, Dr Mephesto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Leopard and MacPython, and I would like to access a USB
> device. I have installed libusb, and now I have tried to compile PyUSB
> from:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyusb/
>
> But when I compile I get lots of errors, ie:

Hi Dr. M.,
The first error you get is that the compiler can't find usb.h:

> pyusb.h:6:17: error: usb.h: No such file or directory

It's not surprising that a compile produces lots of errors when it
can't find a header file.

This project is looking for a header file that's not on your system
because PyUSB is Linux-specific. That doesn't mean it can't be made to
run on OS X, but the amount of effort required to make that happen
might range anywhere from trivial to difficult.

PyUSB deals with hardware, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that a
hardware interface varies from OS to OS. Since an entire header file
is missing here, my guess is that making it work on OS X would be
closer to difficult than trivial. It's also possible (likely?) that
the author doesn't even have a Mac or access to one, and so can't
experiment under OS X.

You need to contact the package author to ask if he has considered OS
X support. If not, you'll need to find another package. Google for
something like this:
python usb "os x"

That should help you to find packages that will work under OS X. Be
aware that there might not be such a package. :-/

Hope this helps
Philip