How to find "in" in the documentation

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sat Mar 14 07:59:28 EDT 2009

jkn wrote:
> On Mar 14, 7:00 am, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>> Well, this may not solve the OP's problem, but the current
>> (2.7a0) .chm file has a much better index for operators and
>> keywords. And "in" is in there. If you're interested in
>> comparing, there's a copy here:
>>
>>  http://timgolden.me.uk/python/downloads/snapshots/trunk/Python27a0.chm
>
> Thanks for the link (should be a lowercase 'p' - python27a0.chm -
> BTW). But having had a look at this file (under kchmviewer rather than
> the Windows help viewer) ....
>
> Ye Gods - it's almost unreadable. Not because of the content, but
> because of the page style. I'm getting black text on a sort of slate
> blue background. Is this the expected appearance?

Ummm. No. It uses the same css as the standard Python docs.
Frankly I think the contrast could be better, but it's
certainly readable.
Maybe some issue with the kchmviewer rendering? Might be
easier for non-Windows users to look at the dev docs online:

  http://docs.python.org/dev/

since that's built from the same source / index. I find the
.chm far easier to search but the online docs are pretty good.

The (js-based) online search feature does work but, unfortunately,
is naive in its selection, so searching for "in" turns up any
page with the word "in" in it! The index page is rather better:

  http://docs.python.org/dev/genindex-I.html

Hope that helps

TJG