Windows install to custom location after building from source

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Mar 8 16:43:54 EDT 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> What does the merge do? I can't find mention of it
>> in the docs.
>
> It merges the msvcrt merge module into the installer (and then
> monkey patches it, to revert the msm decision of setting
> ALLUSERS). I tried to integrate it originally as a step
> after creating the msi. Unfortunately, the merge object refused
> to open the database, claiming that the file is in use (even
> though I had closed it). Hence I need to processes. If you
> can figure out how to combine them into one, again, that
> would be much appreciated.

At the moment, I'm struggling to make it work at all :)

First, it relies on config.py whose existence msi.py
optionally ignores. I've created a dummy, based on the
settings in msi.py. Then I get a COM error, reproduced
below. I've got to go and do something else at the moment
but I'll look into it afterwards. I'll dump the traceback
here in case it rings any bells.

TJG

<dump>
Opened Log
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "merge.py", line 79, in <module>
    merge(msi, "SharedCRT", "TARGETDIR", modules)
  File "merge.py", line 27, in merge
    m.OpenDatabase(msi)
  File "<COMObject Msm.Merge2.1>", line 2, in OpenDatabase
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147024786), None)
[33419 refs]

</dump>

TJG