Windows install to custom location after building from source

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 8 16:08:50 EDT 2009

> What does the merge do? I can't find mention of it
> in the docs.

It merges the msvcrt merge module into the installer (and then
monkey patches it, to revert the msm decision of setting
ALLUSERS). I tried to integrate it originally as a step
after creating the msi. Unfortunately, the merge object refused
to open the database, claiming that the file is in use (even
though I had closed it). Hence I need to processes. If you
can figure out how to combine them into one, again, that
would be much appreciated.

If you don't merge the CRT, the resulting Python installation
will fail on systems were
a) VS 2008 is not installed (nor has the stand-alone CRT installer
   been run, nor has anything else been installed that comes
   with the CRT), and
b) Python is installed "for all users" (else a private copy of
   msvcr90.dll gets installed)

Regards,
Martin