String Identity Test

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 4 03:02:52 EST 2009

Avetis KAZARIAN wrote:
> After reading the discussion about the same subject ( From: "Thomas
> Moore" <jsfrank.c... at msa.hinet.net> Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:45:56
> +0800 ), I tried myself some tests with some confusing results (I'm a
> beginner with Python, I'm coming from PHP)

For immutable objects, identity is essentially irrelevant.  Whether an
implementation conserves space by reusing immutable objects with a given
value, and if so, how so, depends on the particular version of a
particular implementation.  Unless one in interested in interpreter
implementation, I advise against paying too much attention to the issue.
  It seems to generate more confusion than enlightenment.

> How does Python manage strings as objects?

Python the language does not 'manage' objects.  Particular interpreters
do what they do.  The CPython sources are decently readable.

tjr