String Identity Test

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Wed Mar 4 02:56:58 EST 2009

Avetis KAZARIAN wrote:
> After reading the discussion about the same subject ( From: "Thomas
> Moore" <jsfrank.c... at msa.hinet.net> Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:45:56
> +0800 ), I tried myself some tests with some confusing results (I'm a
> beginner with Python, I'm coming from PHP)
>

> # 1. Short alpha-numeric String without space
>
> a = "b747"
> b = "b747"

> True
>

> # 2. Long alpha-numeric String without space
>
> a =
> "averylongstringbutreallyaveryveryverylongstringwithabout68characters"
> b =
> "averylongstringbutreallyaveryveryverylongstringwithabout68characters"

> True
>

> # 3. Short alpha-numeric String with space
>
> a = "x y"
> b = "x y"

> False
>

> # 4. Long alpha-numeric String with space
>
> a = "I love Python it s so much better than PHP but sometimes
> confusing"
> b = "I love Python it s so much better than PHP but sometimes
> confusing"

> False
>

> # 5. Empty String
>
> a = ""
> b = ""

> True
>

> # 6. Whitecharacter  String : space
>
> a = " "
> b = " "

> False
>

> # 7. Whitecharacter String : new line
>
> a = "\n"
> b = "\n"

> False
>

> # 8. Non-ASCII without space
>
> a = "é"
> b = "é"

> False
>

> # 9. Non-ASCII with space
>
> a = "é à"
> b = "é à"

> False
>

> It seems that any strict ASCII alpha-numeric string is instantiated as
> an unique object, like a "singleton" ( a = "x" and b = "x" => a is b )
> and that any non strict ASCII alpha-numeric string is instantiated as
> a new object every time with a new id.
>
> Conclusion :
>
> How does Python manage strings as objects?

However the implementors want.

That may seem a flippant answer, but it's actually accurate.  The choice
of whether a new string reuses an existing string or creates a new one
is *not* a Python question, but rather a question of implementation.
It's a matter of efficiency, and as such each implementation/version of
Python may make its own choices.   Writing a program that depends on the
string identity policy would be considered an erroneous program, and
should be avoided.

The question now is:  Why do you care?   The properties of strings do
not depend on the implementation's choice, so you shouldn't care because
of programming considerations.  Perhaps it's just a matter of curiosity
on your part.

Gary Herron