PyWin32 for Python 3.x

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Mar 15 16:48:20 EDT 2009

Tim Golden wrote:
> John Nagle wrote:
>>    That "wizard" won't even install unless Python 3.0 is "in the
>> registry", which apparently means "installed as the default Python".
>
> No, it just means "installed somewhere". I have 6 different
> versions of Python installed on this box. The choice of
> which is "the default" is mine, either by selection at
> installation or by later manipulation of associations,
> path etc.
>

>> After giving the user an alert box, it dumps you into a dialog which
>> says "Python 3.0 is required for this package.  Select installation to
>> use".
>> That's blank, and the form fields "Python Directory" and "Installation
>> Directory" won't accept input, so it can't even be overridden manually.
>
> I agree that this is annoying.

> While I don't feel strongly about the matter -- I have no particular
> need to use Python 3.x for now, altho' I'm tracking it -- I think
> that you're making quite a far-reaching statement on scant evidence. Fair
> enough, you couldn't do a quick-and-dirty install of pywin32-213
> for Python 3.x without having Python 3.x installed and in the
> registry. To go from that to claiming that Python 3.x is a long
> way from prime time seems at the very least to ignore the legions
> of non-Windows users who neither know nor care about pywin32.

    Well, of some other packages I use:

	MySQLdb: "Python versions 2.3-2.5 are supported."
		Ref: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
	M2Crypto: Latest version is for Python 2.6.
		Ref: http://chandlerproject.org/bin/view/Projects/MeTooCrypto

Somebody who's into tracking might want to maintain a big cross-reference
table of "what packages work with what versions".

				John Nagle