Tkinter - non-ASCII characters in text widgets problem

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Fri Jun 26 15:10:02 EDT 2009

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> norseman wrote:
>> ...  A note here:  In reading the original posting I get symbols that
>> are not
>> familiar to me as alphabet.
>>  From the line in your original:
>>      Label(root, text='ęóąśłżźćń').pack()
>> I see text='
>>            then an e with a goatee
>>                 a  capitol O with an accent symbol on top (')
>>                 an a with a tail on the right
>>                 a  s with an accent on top
>>                 an I do no not know what - maybe some sort of l with a
>>                                            slash through the middle
>>                 a  couple of z with accents on top
>>                 a  capitol C with an accent on top
>>                 a  n with a short bar on top
>
> Here's something to try in any future circumstances:
>
> Python 3.1rc2 (r31rc2:73414, Jun 13 2009, 16:43:15) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
> (Intel)] on win32
> Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>  >>> import unicodedata as ud
>  >>> for ch in 'ęóąśłżźćń':
>     print('%3d %4x %c %s' % (ord(ch), ord(ch), ch, ud.name(ch)))
>

> 281  119 ę LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH OGONEK
> 243   f3 ó LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH ACUTE
> 261  105 ą LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH OGONEK
> 347  15b ś LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH ACUTE
> 322  142 ł LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH STROKE
> 380  17c ż LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH DOT ABOVE
> 378  17a ź LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH ACUTE
> 263  107 ć LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH ACUTE
> 324  144 ń LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH ACUTE
>
> --Scott David Daniels
> Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org
==============
Good thought, good idea, useful tool.

BUT - compare your output to what I *see*.
And I do not see any f3 anywhere except in the doc ref I copy/duped and
in this file.

I suspect the mail handlers all have some differences.

I also suspect Window$ is still cooking it's outputs. It has a long
history of saying one thing and doing another.

I used to program exclusively in assembly. I know for a fact Window$ can
  and does lie.  Little ones, not often, but like your f3.  I don't have
one. Not from the copy/paste of the original posting, not anywhere I
have looked in reviewing possible cause/effect of the problem posted. I
do have a C3 B3 byte pair after the 30 31 31 39  (0119) and before the
5C (\) that follows the 0119.  MC shows it as a CAP-A with a tilde on
top of it. Firefox shows it as a CAP-O with an accent on top. (Kids
today call the Accent a single quote.)

I do not know what Window$ program to guide you to for proper hex
listings.  I'm not even sure an accurate one exists. (No doubt someone
will now list a few thousand of them. :)

Maybe zipping and transferring the .zip will help - maybe not.  I would
like to know the results.

Steve