Once again, comparison wxpython with PyQt

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:25:05 EDT 2009

On Jun 18, 8:35 am, Hans Müller <HeinT... at web.de> wrote:
> Here we have to select between wxPython and PyQt for a medium size project.
> In this project several hundred dialogs are to be created. This work will be done by a
> program generator which has to re-written.
>
> The question now is which framework should we use.
> As far as I could found is PyQt with the Qt Framework the superior choice.
> Most articles I found (not all) results to PyQt.
> But Qt is expensive ~ 3400€ per Developer and OS.
> Since these articles are more or less old, it would be nice to hear your current opinions.
>
> Condensed, I found this pros / cons:
>
> Pros for Qt:
>         - best framwork, well designed

"Best" in who's opinion?

>         - nice GUI builders
>         - faster execution

How was the execution speed measured?

> Cons:
>         - epensive

The others have answered this...

> Pros for wxPython:
>         - cheap
>         - big community
> Cons:
>         - more layers on top of OS
>         - more bugs (still valid ?)
>         - slower

Again, how was the slowness measured?

> Can someone tell me about his experiences with one or both frameworks ?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Greetings
> Hans

I've been using wxPython for almost three years. I can attest to there
being a good solid community behind wx that is very friendly. The
wxPython framework is built on top of C++ wxWidgets code, but as far
as I know, pyQT is built on top of the QT framework. So I'm not sure
where this idea of "more layers" for wx comes from.

I haven't messed with QT to know if it is faster or not. Hopefully
someone else can weigh in on that. I also don't know which has more
bugs. For what I've done though, I've never had a bug to deal with.
I've created a fairly involved timesheet for my company that's a
little unwieldy at the moment. I also have quite a few smaller
applications in wxPython. I like it quite a bit. All the widgets I've
ever needed are already implemented and when they aren't there, it
always seems that one of the other developers releases one.

I would recommend trying to create something small in each toolkit
(like a minimal calculator) and see which one makes the most sense to
you.

Mike