Not going to let this drop ...

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Mon Jun 1 22:35:00 EDT 2009

> If anyone who reads this email has anything to offer - time,
> money, equipment, whatever, I'd be *really* grateful to hear
> from them. I can put you in touch with people who know about
> things like the range of interface devices available for
> paraplegic and quadriplegic people. Ideally the program would
> be adaptable to a wide range of hardware accommodating a broad
> spectrum of disability, but many quadriplegics use equipment
> that emulates a standard keyboard and/or mouse, so that would
> be a great start.

While I don't have too much to offer, I'll pass along what I do have:

A) An OLPC (mostly Python-based kit) project[1] to provide simple
icons-to-speech that sounds a bit like what you're describing.
My addition to the thread is about Dasher[2], posted as Gumnos.
A Dasher-like interface may allow for a greater range of
expression with minimal "2-axis plus sip-puff" selection.  If I
were mobility-impaired, I'd use Dasher to communicate & code
(perhaps even coding Python atoms/tokens as their own entities
for ease of entry :)

B) There are also groups of folks such as the IGDA (Independent
Game Developers Association)'s SIG-Access[3] which focuses on
promoting accessibility in gaming.  Robert Florio[4] is one of
the folks in the SIG and has a vested interest in improving
accessibility for mobility-impaired gamers (others on the list
have particular interests/focii in visual, auditory or mental
challenges).  I mention this group first because they have some
innovative solutions for taking existing applications/games and
either retrofitting accessibility solutions as well as exploring
new design goals to make applications/games accessible upon
launch.  Other similar groups exist for things like
web-accessibility (WCAG WG[5], WAG[6]) but that seems a little
outside your focus.

Hope this gives you some ideas/connections that help you out.

-tkc

[1]
http://www.olpcnews.com/software/applications/free_icon-to-speech_open-source_speech_for_disabled.html

[2]