If Scheme is so good why MIT drops it?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jul 26 17:04:23 EDT 2009

In article <h4gnmr$8cl$1 at news.eternal-september.org>,
 Raffael Cavallaro <raffaelcavallaro at pas.espam.s.il.vous.plait.mac.com>
 wrote:

> php is clearly a lesser language than python.

I'm as much of a Python bigot as anybody.  Likewise, I put down php for all
the sorts of theoretical reasons people have been putting it down.  Not to
mention that it looks like Perl, which is enough to make anybody go
screaming in the other direction.

However, it's hard to argue with success.  A ton of very useful software
has been written in php (including MediaWiki, which drives Wikipedia).  One
needs to have a very highly developed sense of theoretical purity to look
down their noses at the language that drives one of the highest volume web
sites on the planet.