strange python scripting error

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sat Jul 25 20:35:05 EDT 2009

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:18:58 -0400, Dave Angel <davea at ieee.org>
>

>> Another thing I'd point out is that some ftp programs will do this
>> conversion as the file is being sent between a local DOS machine and a
>> Unix machine on the internet.
>>

> 	"some ftp programs"?
>
> 	Line end conversion is the whole reason, to my knowledge, for text
> mode transfer, vs binary mode transfer.
>
> <snip>

Perhaps I should have said "most ftp programs," or even "all ftp
programs," but I don't feel qualified to make such a generalization.  In
any case, I don't currently use such automatic conversion when I'm doing
transfers because I like to be able to see exactly what's there, and I
don't have another way to directly examine the remote end.

The FTP I use is an add-on for Firefox (FireFTP), and although it has
text and "auto" modes, it's buried in the Tools->options menu, and the
main panel just does a transfer using whichever mode was selected.
Rather than risking corrupting the (mostly binary) files, I choose to
use binary mode all the time.

DaveA