ANN: Shed Skin 0.2, an experimental (restricted) Python-to-C++ compiler

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Tue Jul 21 08:29:58 EDT 2009

Mark Dufour <mark.dufour at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I have just released version 0.2 of Shed Skin, an experimental
>  (restricted) Python-to-C++ compiler (http://shedskin.googlecode.com).
>  It comes with 7 new example programs (for a total of 40 example
>  programs, at over 12,000 lines) and several important improvements/bug
>  fixes. See http://code.google.com/p/shedskin/wiki/ReleaseNotes for the
>  full changelog.

Cool!

I tried it on a program I wrote to solve a puzzle (Rush Hour).
(Actually it solves the meta-puzzle - trying to make the hardest
possible Rush Hour puzzle.)

After a bit of twiddling (remove psyco and profiling) I got it to
start compiling, but unfortunately it compiled for about an hour (in
iterative type analysis..) used up 600 MB of RAM printing an '*' every
10 minutes or so then gave an error message and gave up.

Unfortunately I shut the window by accident, but the error message was
something about not being able to resolve types I think with a list of
20 or so unresolved types.

Can you give a hint as to how I debug this?  I presume my program has
some instances of non static types which is causing the problem, but
it is going to be a very long debugging session if it takes me an hour
each cycle ;-)

The program is about 700 lines of python (excluding comments).

Thanks

Nick