SimpleXMLRPCServer question

rdmurray at bitdance.com rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Jan 30 23:12:41 EST 2009

Quoth flagg <ianand0204 at gmail.com>:
> I am working on a very basic xmlrpc server, which will expose certain
> functions for administering BIND zone files.  The big problem I am
> having is parsing the incoming xmlrpc request.  Basically part of the
> xmlrpc request will help deterime which zone file is edited.    I have
> been looking at the do_POST() method from SimpleXMLRPCDispatcher and
> it seems like I could code something which overides that method,
> however I am new to programming am at a loss, i might even be making
> this tougher than it needs to be.   Is there a way to parse the
> incoming xmlrpc request before the function it is calling is executed?

Wouldn't you be overriding '_dispatch' on SimpleXMLRPCServer instead?

It's been a while since I looked at XMLRPC, but why wouldn't you have
a operation names, with the zone file to operate on as an argument?
Then you'd just be defining your operations as methods on your
SimpleXMLRPCServer, and they'd use the argument to determine which file
to operate on.

If that doesn't make sense, either I've forgotten how XMLRPC works,
or you should explain your requirements a bit more.

--RDM