Addition of multiprocessing ill-advised? (was: Python 3.0.1)

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Tue Jan 27 23:36:51 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:
>> I think that [Python 2.6 was a rushed release]. 2.6 showed it in the
>> inclusion (later recognizable as somewhat ill-advised so late in the
>> day) of multiprocessing […]

Steve: It's just a new package - it used to be available
as a 3rd-party package. I dare say it most definitely was
-not- ill-advised. It happens to be a great addition to the
standard library.

> What was ill-advised about the addition of the 'multiprocessing'
> module to Python 2.6? I ask because I haven't yet used it in anger,
> and am not sure what problems have been found in it.

I have found no problems with it - I've recently integrated it with my
event/component framework (1). In my library I use Process, Pipe
and Value.

cheers
James

1. http://pypi.python.org/pypi/circuits/