I'm a python addict !

J. Cliff Dyer jcd at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Jan 26 11:11:58 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 14:43 -0800, J Kenneth King wrote:
> Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I just started using python last week and I'm addicted.
> >
> > I hate Perl.  I never did learn to use it with any competence.  I has to
> > be the most obfuscated, cryptic language I've ever seen.  Making it
> > "object oriented" only makes it worse !
> > .. <snip> ..
>
> I program full-time in Python, so I share your excitement and
> enthusiasm. But bashing Perl like that doesn't make you sound very
> smart. I'm probably one of the very few Python programmers who came from
> (and still occassionally) use Perl.

Really?

I think many many python programmers cut their teeth on Perl.  I for
one.  I loved programming in it when I did, but I hate having to try to
understand OPP.  Now, when I deal with Perl, it's mostly legacy code,
and it's a miserable experience.

> I've written non-trivial programs in
> it and from my experience I can tell you that it's actually a great
> language. The Moose object system is well beyond Python's class
> system. But I guess you wouldn't know that.
>
> So yay for Python, but don't get in the habit of criticising that which
> you do not know.

There are legitimate reasons to criticize things even when they are
powerful.

Cheers,
Cliff