Securing a database

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Sat Jan 24 04:11:14 EST 2009

kt83313 at gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you very much Bryan.
> It does look like this is out of my league.

As Peter Pearson noted, "It is out of *everyone's* league." And Peter
used to work for Cryptography Research, a small company that scored as
high in this league as anyone. Maybe you can advance the state of the
art in DRM; but if so, you can probably make more money on that than on
selling access to this particular database.

Stepping back, KT, you said that your company currently provides an
on-line service backed by this database. Maybe you want to stick with
that. Can you say what prompts you to look at offering off-line access
to your customers?

I've spent most of my career, so far, as a cryptologic engineer, and
I've seen similar problems. For example, the U.S. Postal Service has a
database of valid addresses and address forwarding requests that can
provide reasonable and valuable services, but that they are barred by
law from generally exposing. Users are allowed to check the validity of
a name-and-address, and if they have one, they're allowed to know if the
addressee has forwarded it, and if so, to where.

At the time I got involved with the USPS's FASTforward system, they
offered an Internet service, and an off-line locally-accessible product.
The off-line product was a black-box system -- literally: a PC-class
computer in locked black case, with hardened epoxy gumming up most of
the interface ports. An open SCSI port answered legitimate forwarding
requests, and the CD drive accepted encrypted updates to the database.

A similar scheme might still play, but there's no question that times
have changed. Back then, the USPS system of locked black boxes made
sense. Users numbered more than a hundred but less than a thousand, and
the Post Office required agreement to a contract that protected
individual addresses.

--
--Bryan