Securing a database

Peter Pearson ppearson at nowhere.invalid
Fri Jan 23 11:57:58 EST 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 06:10:31 -0800 (PST), kt83313 at gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:41 pm, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr... at nowhere.org> wrote:
[snip]
>> Look up DRM technology companies, such as CloakWare, Macrovision, and
>> Cryptography Research.
>>
>> If you have a modest number of customers, hardware solutions and/or
>> strict contractual commitments might offer practical solutions.
>>
> Thank you very much Bryan.
> It does look like this is out of my league.

It is out of *everyone's* league.  Every company that has
ever wanted to sell movies or music that you can play on
your computer but that you can't post to the Internet has
faced this problem.  Many, many millions of dollars have
been spent searching for mitigation.  The best you can hope
for is to delay your attacker by some number of months.
That might be enough if the value of your content is
ephemeral, but even that can only be achieved with a big
initial investment, enormous implementation hassles, and
commitment to a never-ending arms race with the pirates.