Stalled ticket in Python bug tracker

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 23 19:44:40 EST 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:35:52 -0600, skip wrote:
>
>> Steven> I'm interested in this ticket in the bug tracker:
>>
>>     Steven> http://bugs.python.org/issue2527
>>
>>     Steven> but it seems to have been stalled for nine months. Is there
>>     a Steven> procedure for starting it up again?
>>
>> Assign it to yourself?  Add a comment with relevant updates?

You seem to have missed or not understood this answer.  See below.

>>     Steven> Should I ask about it on the python-dev mailing list, or
>>     just Steven> wait until somebody happens to notice it?
>>
>> But you've already noticed it. ;-)
>

> (Note to self: stop posting ambiguous messages when tired.)
>

> I meant bringing it to the attention of somebody who can actually commit
> the patch to production, or rule that the patch isn't suitable. I can't
> do that.

However, you can do something to move it forward.

1. There were some suggested changes to the patch but no revised version
uploaded.  What do *you* think of them?

2. The patch is small enough that you could apply it by hand, with or
without any further changes, to a copy of timeit.py on your system.

3. The patch is against python2.5.  Test it with 2.6 and 3.0 with the
current test file in Lib/test.

4. The patch lacks any test of the new feature.  Write one that could be
added to the current test file.

5. The patch lack documentation of the new feature.  Write a entry that
could be added to the current timeit module doc.

6. Ask the OP to incorporate the test and doc in the appropriate file
and generate and post a new diff patch.

The patch as is is unacceptable without the test and doc.

> Sorry for the naive questions, I'm new to the bug tracker and I'm not
> entirely sure about the protocol. Should I just drop a note to python-dev
> and ask somebody with commit privileges to look at it, or is that rude?

Slightly rude, perhaps, but more importantly, without volunteer work on
your part, probably useless.  Everyone else is a volunteer also.

tjr