A different kind of interface

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Jan 22 14:01:15 EST 2009

Eduardo O. Padoan:
> You are almost *describing* reinteract:

- Thank you for the link and the software, I have not tried it yet,
but from the screencast it looks quite nice.
- I am glad that there are people that don't think that Emacs is
(despite being good) the alpha and omega of editing. There's space for
other ideas beside Emacs.
- Maybe I was describing reinteract there, but that's only the first
part of my post :-)
- I can see that reinteract is based on a interaction style quite
similar to the shell of Mathematica. I was talking about something
different, and more similar to TextCalc, but in the end I think
reinteract may be good enough for my purposes, so I'll try to run it.
And I may be happy enough.
- Eventually I may find the time and will to create my "interactive
python text" :-) I think there's space for many different solutions.
- Despite many years of experiments, development, shells, editors, and
the like, I am sure there are other designs not yet tried or not
common enough yet (beside the normal editors, shells, smart object-
oriented graphical shells like hotwire shell, Resolver One, and few
other weird things, like one where you can zoom text and images at
different scales, other text-based systems, etc).

Bye,
bearophile