Paul Rubin http
Wed Jan 21 22:08:05 EST 2009

Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org> writes:
> Nowhere in this discussion is a point that I find telling:  Python's
> policy of accessibility to the full data structure allows simple
> implementation of debugging software, rather than the black arcana
> that is the normal fare of trying to weld debuggers into the compilers.

Are you really saying that navigating through Python traceback and
frame objects is not equally black arcana?  Is there any hope of
debuggers for CPython programs that use those interfaces working in
Jython or PyPy?

Java, at least, has a well defined and documented debugging interface
that allows access to private and protected instance variables for
debugging purposes.  You can enable or disable that interface by
setting a runtime option when you start the JVM.