PyQt4 on Windows ?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Jan 20 16:28:00 EST 2009

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> What does it take to get a PyQt4 application running on a Windows
> machine ?

To run, installing Python + PyQt4 ;-)

To create a binary wrapper, I use py2exe (I also tried cx_Freeze, both
work the same). There's a gotcha with PyQt4 - snippet follows:

setup(
     options = {"py2exe": {"compressed": 1,
                           "optimize": 2,
                           "includes": ["sip"],
                           "excludes": []}},
     service = [],
     com_server = [],
     console = [],
     windows = [modeler],
     )

You need to include the "sip" module manually, it's not automatically
discovered.

To create an installer, I use NSIS.

> I'm sorry if this is a redundant question, but I've searched this and I
> am not finding a comprehensive answer.
>
> If anyone is running a PyQt4 application on a Windows (XP or Vista)
> machine, I'd love to know how it works for you

It works fine in a test setup. I didn't pursue this any further at the
moment, because for the project in question we decided to deploy on
MacOS X first and delay the Windows version.

> and how extensive the application is and how much of the Qt library it uses.

The application is currently 1200 LOC, 200 of which are autogenerated
from Qt designer files. The final application will probably be about
three times as large.

It's a modeler application and I most of the code is thus centered
around QGraphicsScene and two custom QGraphicsItems - one for nodes, one
for edges. It's been a real pleasure that I get most functionality for
the modeling app for free with (Py)Qt.

-- Gerhard