Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 15 15:29:33 EST 2009

Paul Rubin wrote:
> r <rt8396 at gmail.com> writes:
>> So what was the fatal error, care to post a traceback?
>
> Usually it's "expected to find some value but got None", or got a
> list, or expected some structure but got a different one, or some
> field was missing, etc.  It's not a single traceback, it's a recurring
> theme in developing this stuff.

I do not see any connection, really, between what you describe above and
your desire for static type-checking expressed elsewhere.  When I was
regularly doing analysis of empirical data files, I learned (sometimes
the hard way, as you describe above) to **ALWAYS** run preliminary
checks of all fields through the entire file so I would know the actual
range of values of each and whether the ranges comported with the
requirements of the intended analyses.  The principle was/is the same
whether using BMDP, SAS, C, or Python.

Terry Jan Reedy