How to store passwords?

Sebastian Bassi sbassi at clubdelarazon.org
Wed Jan 7 15:55:29 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Oltmans <rolf.oltmans at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm writing a program in which I will ask users to enter user name and
> password once only. It's a console based program that will run on

In general you don't store the password, but a "hash" of it. Then when
the user logs-in, you hash it and compare the result with the stored
hash.
About hash, use sha, look here:
http://docs.python.org/library/hashlib.html#module-hashlib

> Windows XP. Actually, I'm trying to provide the similar functionality
> as "Remember me" thing in browsers. For that, I will need to store
> user name and passwords on the disk. I don't have a background in

I don't understand how this is supposed to work. "Remember me" in
browser doesn't store passwords.

> using? Moreover, I cannot use a whole library to do that due to
> certain issues. However, I can use like 1--2 files that will be
> shipped along with the main script. Any ideas? Any help will be really
> appreciated. Thanks.

The library I pointed out before is built-in.

Best,
SB.

--
Sebastián Bassi. Diplomado en Ciencia y Tecnología.
Book: Python for bioinformatics. http://tinyurl.com/biopython