How to store passwords?

Oltmans rolf.oltmans at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 15:42:21 EST 2009

I'm writing a program in which I will ask users to enter user name and
password once only. It's a console based program that will run on
Windows XP. Actually, I'm trying to provide the similar functionality
as "Remember me" thing in browsers. For that, I will need to store
user name and passwords on the disk. I don't have a background in
Crypto so how do you suggest I do that? What algorithms shall I be
using? Moreover, I cannot use a whole library to do that due to
certain issues. However, I can use like 1--2 files that will be
shipped along with the main script. Any ideas? Any help will be really
appreciated. Thanks.