Where to host a (Python) project?

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Sat Jan 31 06:46:32 EST 2009

Hi,

I have a new project, that I just released in beta (http://
www.acooke.org/lepl - a recursive decent parser with full
backtracking).  At the moment I am using pypi and setuptools for
distribution (it's a pure python package) and I am happy with hosting
static web pages (the manual and api doc linked to above) on my own
site (I did try the packages.python.org web pages, but it seemed
pointless duplicating my own).

However, i am thinking I could really do with:
- a mailing list
- simple bug tracking
- subversion
and am wondering which is the best (free) provider for these (the code
is LGPL open source).  I'd prefer a mailing list to something like
google groups (although I guess it may be possible to configure a
gateway) and I could open up my personal subversion server, but that
seems like a lot of work (not really that interested in moving to
something other than svn).

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Andrew