Untangling pythonWin and IDLE Processes on XP Pro

W. eWatson notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 12 09:57:38 EST 2009

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> W. eWatson wrote:
>
>> It appears if one moves between IDLE and pythonWin (pyWin) that two
>> separate loops (threads?) can occur, and that IDLE can produce incorrect
>> results. Since I have preferred IDLE over pyWin, that leaves me currently
>> in a quandry. How do I renew these processes, so that I can proceed with
>> IDLE?
>
>> I noticed that I had about 10-15 copies of pythonw.exe as I tried to reach
>> some understanding of what was going on. Killing these tasks didn't help
>> restore order to IDLE. It seems my only choice now is to reboot? Comments?
>
> Gosh no, rebooting shouldn't be needed. Just quit all idle & pywin
> processes, including of course the main programs. Which *should* be
> anything that is needed anyway.
Done that. Been there. It doesn't work. If I take another py tkinter program
and run it in IDLE, it *will work*. The current program goes boom.

> And you still seem to not understand what is really happening.
Whether I understand it exactly or not is not the issue. The issue is how do
I execute IDLE *now* to get the correct results it once allowed? The fact of
the matter is that I was happily working in IDLE for days and hours. I
encountered a problem in IDLE that seemed suspicious, so I then fired up
pyWin to see if it gave the same results. It worked fine. Then my problems
with IDLE got worse.

> Working between pywin and idle is perfectly fine, they are separate
> programs. You can start as many instances of a program as you want and
> happily work with them. Even several instances of idle and pywin, unless
> these come with some logic to prevent multiple starts  - some windows app
> do that.
How could this be true; otherwise,  I wouldn't be complaining?

> What does *NOT* work is writing a Tkinter-based app in idle, and to run it
> *FROM INSIDE* idle. Instead, open your explorer and double-click on the
> pyhton-file your app is in. That's all that there is to it.
Personally, I like running entirely in IDLE.

If there is no other way than you suggested in "NOT work", then I may just
uninstall pyWin.

--
                                W. eWatson

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>