Untangling pythonWin and IDLE Processes on XP Pro

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Feb 12 09:07:43 EST 2009

W. eWatson wrote:

> It appears if one moves between IDLE and pythonWin (pyWin) that two
> separate loops (threads?) can occur, and that IDLE can produce incorrect
> results. Since I have preferred IDLE over pyWin, that leaves me currently
> in a quandry. How do I renew these processes, so that I can proceed with
> IDLE?

> I noticed that I had about 10-15 copies of pythonw.exe as I tried to reach
> some understanding of what was going on. Killing these tasks didn't help
> restore order to IDLE. It seems my only choice now is to reboot? Comments?

Gosh no, rebooting shouldn't be needed. Just quit all idle & pywin
processes, including of course the main programs. Which *should* be
anything that is needed anyway.

And you still seem to not understand what is really happening.

Working between pywin and idle is perfectly fine, they are separate
programs. You can start as many instances of a program as you want and
happily work with them. Even several instances of idle and pywin, unless
these come with some logic to prevent multiple starts  - some windows app
do that.

What does *NOT* work is writing a Tkinter-based app in idle, and to run it
*FROM INSIDE* idle. Instead, open your explorer and double-click on the
pyhton-file your app is in. That's all that there is to it.

Diez